Alleged Saudi strike kills dozens at Yemen wedding

Alleged Saudi strike kills dozens at Yemen wedding

alleged saudi strike kills dozens at yemen wedding

SANAA, Yemen - Dozens of people, including three brothers who were preparing to get married, were killed when a suspected Saudi missile strike hit a marriage party in southwest Yemen on Thursday, residents said.


Though the exact number of casualties could not be confirmed independently, media reports said that at least 30 people were killed when the missile hit a house in the town of
Sanban in Dhamar region.
At least 50 people were wounded.
The family and relatives were celebrating the marriage ceremony of the three brothers who were waiting for their brides' party to arrive when the missile hit their house.
The brides were unharmed, locals and medics said.
Residents blamed the Saudi-led forces for the deadly attack.
"Coalition warplanes launched the attack. The house was completely destroyed," said Taha al-Zuba, a witness and local resident. "Warplanes were heard in the area ahead of the attack."
The Houthi-affiliated Al Masirah television said on Twitter that the wedding was hit by "aggression warplanes," referring to the coalition assembled by Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia is leading a regional coalition of forces to battle Iran-backed Houthis in the Arabian Peninsula nation.
They are trying to restore Yemen's ousted President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi. This is the second attack on a wedding party since last month when a strike killed more than 130 people on Sep 28.
There was no immediate coalition comment on Thursday's strike.
The coalition however last week denied that its airstrikes hit the Sep 28 wedding party.
The deadly strike came as officials said Yemeni government forces and their allies, including coalition troops, captured the last outpost of the Shia Houthi rebels in the key Marib province.
The forces took the town of Sirwah, said Colonel Ayed al-Moradi, a Yemeni military official.
The UN had on Thursday announced that the Houthis, who still control Sana'a and much of central and northern Yemen, had accepted a Security Council resolution calling for an end to the conflict.
The Yemen fighting has killed more than 4,000 people, leaving the Arab world's poorest country in the grip of a humanitarian crisis and on the brink of famine.
Separately on Thursday, a prominent judge and a senior army officer were shot dead by unidentified gunmen on motorcycles in two separate incidents, security sources said. They added that Islamist militants were suspected of the killings.



CULLED FROM BARCELONANEWS

No comments:

Post a Comment