Burundi crisis: Military bases attacked in Bujumbura


Burundi crisis: Military bases attacked in Bujumbura

A policeman holds his rifle at a barricade during a protest against Burundi President Pierre Nkurunziza and his bid for a third term in Bujumbura, Burundi, in this May 26, 2015 file photo
Heavily armed attackers have launched co-ordinated assaults on several army barracks in Burundi.
At least seven people, including some attackers, have reportedly been killed in Bujumbura, the
capital.
Witnesses described hearing gunfire and explosions for several hours, in Musaga in the south and Ngagara in the north.
The incident is the worst violence since an attempted coup in May, sparked by President Pierre Nkurunziza's third-term bid
Bujumbura residents have taken cover at home and are too frightened to go to work or send their children to school, reports the BBC's Prime Ndikumagenga from the city.
The attacks are the first on military targets since the coup attempt, he says.
A presidential adviser said that government opponents had been trying to create a diversion to free prisoners with the attacks, but had failed.
Mr Nkurunziza won a disputed election in July.


CULLED FROM BBC